At www.santeforhealth.com we receive a number of calls each day requesting information about Home Water Treatment Systems. These calls are from all over; people with wells, people with city water and people with private water companies.
There are four main types of whole-house water treatment systems: soft water, reverse osmosis, carbon filter and KDF filter.
The salt water softening system is well known and misunderstood; not only by homeowners, but by the companies who sell them. With well water a water softener is used to remove iron and soften the water. Many people selling these unit neglect to inform the purchaser that they might need a filter system along side the water softener. This is why we require well owners to have a water test done by a major test lab like National Testing Laboratories, Ltd. 800-458-3330 before they purchase a system.
Some people feel that using a water softener is bad because the high level of sodium content. Two things you should know:
- An alternative to salt for softening water is Potassium Chloride. This is considered as a more environmentally friendly alternative to introducing sodium chloride into our water system
- A soft water loop is designed to bypass the kitchen sink, ice maker and exterior hose bibs. When the system is plumbed properly, the sink and hose bibs remain “hard”.
Many people who purchase a soft water system add a reverse osmosis “RO” system to remove impurities from their drinking water. While it is possible to make your whole house RO purified, it’s very expensive and not particularly practical. The typical RO unit wastes more water than it recovers.
Many people use a PUR® or Britta® charcoal filter which makes your water look and smell good, but needs filter changing often and is does not remove the impurities, iron and bacteria that other type systems can remove.
- We recommend using a system for drinking water that uses a KDF filter. We offer one, two and three filter systems in 10 inch and 20 inch size.
- KDF® process media are high-purity copper-zinc formulations used in pretreatment, primary treatment, and wastewater applications.
- KDF media supplement or replace existing technologies to dramatically extend system life, reduce heavy metals, microorganisms, scale, lower total cost, and decrease maintenance.
- KDF 55 Medium was designed specifically for removing or reducing chlorine and water-soluble heavy metals. It controls scale, bacteria and algae, even in hot water.
- KDF 85 Medium removes or reduces iron and hydrogen sulfide from municipal or other water supplies. Also controls scale, bacteria and algae.
- Patented KDF process media are 100 percent recyclable and contain no chemical additives.
- Hospitals, restaurants, municipal water treatment facilities, and homes rely on KDF process media to safely reduce or remove chlorine, iron, hydrogen sulfide, heavy metals, and bacteria from their water.
A larger version of this system is made for whole house systems. We offer this as a little primer on water systems. Please call us at 1-800-398-6735 with any questions.